I don’t even like regular tuna salad and this lunch dish was amazing!
Here’s the recipe (from “The 30-Day Vegan Challenge”):
- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup eggless mayonnaise
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup walnut halves, chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Add the chickpeas to a food processor or blender and grind them down into small flaky pieces.
Finely chop all the veggies.
Combine all the ingredients except the salt and pepper and mix well.
I thought I would comment on the two different brands of eggless mayo that we’ve tried- the one on the right (the Nayonaise) is the first one we tried. It has a pretty different flavor and is a little brown in color with a jello-ish consistency. I decided to try another brand this week and found the Vegenaise in the refrigerator section at Sprouts. It actually has fat and calories which I like- it creeps me out a little when food products are fat and calorie-free. The Vegenaise has a much better consistency, is white in color, and tastes EXACTLY like real mayonaise!
Winner: Original Vegenaise!
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve as a salad on a bed of lettuce or as a sandwich.
Delicious, hearty and filling lunch!