Even if you don’t want to go vegan, or aren’t ready to make the switch just yet… there are a few food items that can easily be switched from animal-based products to plant-based products, and you would never even know the difference! Food items like condiments and baking ingredients- things that you don’t eat by themselves- are easy things to swap out in your fridge. Here are the top 5 you can buy next time you go grocery shopping! We shop at Sprouts, so you can find all of these products there. :)
- Mayonnaise- our favorite brand is Veganaise in the refrigerated section. This actually tastes really amazing! We eat it with artichokes, on sandwiches and use it to make the best vegan ranch dressing EVER.
- Butter- Earth Balance makes a variety of spreads from regular to the whipped kind. They also make sticks for baking! Genius.
- Sour Cream- we eat a lot of sour cream! On Mexican food and breakfasts mostly. We like Tofutti, which also makes a cream cheese.
- Coffee creamer- we buy coconut milk coffee creamer in french vanilla flavor by So Delicous. Tastes great with our morning french press. :)
- Milk- okay, so this one’s a little harder to swap out and not really a condiment. But it’s still really easy to make the switch! My hubby swears that he grew up drinking a gallon of milk a day between himself, his brother and his dad. At one point (pre-vegan) he said he’d rather get cancer than give up his milk. Well, I guess that changed. :) He loves the vanilla soy milk by Sun Harvest (organic, of course) and I like the original. For our morning cereal we use almond milk by Silk to change things up. They say it takes 3 weeks to form a habit (21 days), and I think it takes about 3 weeks for your taste buds to completely adapt to a change in your diet. Deven “tests” this theory and has some regular cow’s milk every once and a while when we go over to his mom’s house… he says he hates it now and doesn’t know how he ever liked it! Crazy.
Next time you grocery shop, look for these items at your store! If you shop at places like Sprouts, Whole Foods or Trader Joes, they are more likely to carry a variety of these products. If you shop at Ralphs, Vons or Albertsons and they don’t carry them, ask them to! Next time a rep comes to their store to get product placement… they’ll be more likely to stock them because the consumer requested it!